Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Different Views of the World

A few weeks ago, I got the chance to have dinner at the Norwegian embassy in Washington, D.C. It was a lovely evening. The ambassador and his wife hosted a group of International Educators in their residence, and they were gracious hosts. The residence was decorated with objects which represented the best of Norway. There was a very old Norwegian Bible on the table (the ambassador's wife is an ordained Lutheran minister). There were pictures of the King and Queen of Norway. What was most interesting to me, however, was the artwork. He had several pieces by Edvard Munch. Munch is probably most famous for his work "The Scream."

The works in the embassy were even more troubling than "The Scream," if possible. They were all self-portraits, and the artist was obviously in various states of despair while women were depicted as the cause of his problems. As I was looking at the works in the drawing room, the ambassador came up behind me and said, "He was insane, you know." I said, "Really?" He said, "Oh yes, he also had serious problems with women . . . obviously . . . in fact, twice in his life, women tried to kill him." He then instructed me to make sure and see the works by his student. Apparently, Munch had only one student. There was only one individual that he could tolerate, to whom he taught his technique.

I walked over to the works by Munch's student, and I was immediately taken aback. Where Munch's pictures were tormented, his student's were serene. There was a lovely picture of a lagoon with sailboats and a peaceful picture of the Norwegian landscape (naturally featuring a fjord). I was immediately amazed. How could the one person this deeply tormented man tolerated have a vision of the world which was so different from his mentor? As I was standing there, marveling at the disjunction, the ambassador came up and said, "See, he has the same technique." I could only reply, "Wow."

To be honest, I couldn't tell whether he had the same technique or not. I will trust individuals more educated than I to speak to that. I do know that they saw very different worlds when they looked out their window, and I found myself hoping for the ability of Munch's student. I pray that I am able to learn from those who went before and by the grace of God transform that ability into something which brings peace . . . rather than despair. Of course, despair is a part of this world as well, but that is a different entry . . .

No comments: